After the successful renovation of Olivebridge Cottage, a real estate investor hired me to get of his most recent purchase rental-ready. The project included getting the waterfront house physically ready (renovated, decorated and stocked with everything a beach house needs) and digitally ready (branded, listed and marketed).
Grace Cottage is located on Long Island, Maine -- just a short ferry ride from Portland. It started off as a one-bedroom, one-bathroom house with a cramped living room and tired looking deck. Once the renovation is complete, Grace Cottage will be a bright two-bedroom beach house that fits up to six people. The renovated deck and exterior will allow guests to enjoy outdoor meals and the gorgeous sunsets over Harbor de Grace.
The project's logistics were... peculiar. Grace Cottage is located on an island, the owner lives near Portland, the contractor is from New Hampshire, and I am based in New York City. Given these geographic constraints, we launched the project digitally. Using detailed pictures of the house, I created the new interior design plan, renovation plans, and purchase lists. The owner and I then established a digital communication method that allowed me oversee work remotely and enabled him to track expenses in real time. In August 2017, I moved into Grace Cottage to oversee the final phase of interior renovations and the work on the exterior of the house.
Here is a summary of the project:
1) Selected tile, wall colors, bathroom fixtures, and furnishings. Identified and carried out new purchases (on-line and in person). Coordinated delivery logistics to reflect the issues associated with getting furnishings onto the island.
2) Refurbished existing furniture and select fixtures to economize money and minimize waste.
3) Identified new colors for the exterior of the home and deck. Set new maintenance guidelines for the gardener.
4) Staged and decorated the house in person.
1) Named the cottage and oversaw design of the logo.
2) Oversaw creation of a dedicated website (e.g. domain purchase, design and photography).
3) Ordered a house plaque to be hung near the road.
4) Oversaw creation of marketing materials for the house.
5) Created the Airbnb listing
6) Interviewed property managers and greeters.
7) Coordinated influencer stays. Identifying social media influencers and negotiating contracts.
8) Drafted owner's rental house management manual.
This project would not have been possible without the assistance of:
- Sven Delivers. They oversaw the Ikea purchases in Stoughton, MA, delivery to the island and furniture assembly.
- Cinny and John, Grace Cottage's incredible neighbors.
- Jonathan Lujan.